Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 10 - Halfway there!

Just as I plot out a 1 mile outside run, the weather decides to take a turn for the worse. The low on Sunday is predicted to be -8. Yes, there is a little negative sign behind that 8. Apparently, the average high for today is 28. I think we hit a balmy 18. Tomorrow's supposed to hit 30 to bring us some snow and then drop dramatically. In case you forgot you were living in Minnesota, this weather quickly reminds you. Needless to say, I won't be trying out my new mile course anytime soon. 

So I decided to try a mile on the treadmill before I hit the elliptical. I hate the treadmill. I'm always afraid I'm going to trip and fall off, left in a heap behind the whirring machine. It also makes me feel kind of funny once I dismount. But I thought I'd give it a try. I started off at 5.5 mph and once I was up to speed and had my iPod tuned to Green Day's 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, I had walked .04 miles. I then started my HRM to time my actual mile. I stayed at 5.5 mph for about 5 minutes and then had to start decreasing it by .1 mph every few minutes after that. I stayed at 5.2 and then increased it as I neared the end so I ended at 5.5 mph and ran my mile in an "unofficial" PR of 11:12 min. My last mile was at the Edina track at 11:19, which is why I'm figuring this as an unofficial PR.

But yay - day 10 and I'm halfway there! To be honest, I'm making an exception for Friday because it's neighbor Jody's annual holiday party. So instead of 21 days, it will be another 20-day challenge. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you for sticking with this! (and for the enjoyable blogs on it!).

    ReplyDelete