Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 3

Today was day 3 of my "Back to the 150s by NYE Challenge." It went really well, even though I had to pick up a snack wrap at Wendy's after going to the chiropractor. I simply was not going to make it through the gym without something to eat. Yesterday was not as good...

Day 2 started off with a chocolate glazed donut and ended with a hot chocolate from Caribou. Needless to say, day 2 was a wash. I taught until 12:40 and then had my post-observation meeting until 2 or so. I had lunch/dinner at Noodles and then went to lifeguard from 3-5:30. From 6:20-8:30 I earned $55 guarding the dance competition judges at Edina High School. There were five high school dance teams (varsity and JV) from Edina, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Hopkins, and Wayzata. Three of my 9th grade health students were on the dance teams from Edina so it was fun to see them doing something they enjoy outside of the classroom. 

When I received the email informing me that I was going to be guarding the judges' table I thought, "What in the world?? Are they just making up a position for me? This is craziness!" But then I showed up and people were quite serious about it. A section of the bleachers was roped off by yellow crepe paper and there were signs up stating that this was the judges' area and they could not enter. 

My job was to guard the hallway behind the bleachers where the judges were sitting so that no one was looking over them while they were scoring and making notes. Also, when the teams were performing, I had to make sure that no one walked behind the judges and distracted the teams that were on the floor. For the most part people knew to stay out of the judges' section. I had to tell other people that they couldn't stand there or that they had to wait until the performance was done.

The biggest bummer of the night (which was probably good considering all I'd already eaten that day) was that the concessions stand was not serving hot dogs, even though they were listed on the price sheet. 

I took some pictures with my phone:

 The hallway that I was guarding. The judges are sitting on the other side of the green railing.

 The judges behind the yellow crepe paper. This was my view of the performance floor.

Edina's JV Dance Team

  Edina's Varsity Dance Team

I talked to one of the varsity girls today in class and she said that Wayzata won the competition and that Edina tied for 4th. Yeah...Edina didn't look too hot and Wayzata was absolutely awesome! They danced to a Michael Jackson number and they had super jazzy outfits. I was really impressed and they stood out, even to my untrained eye. I just checked their website and they won states last year. Yeah, they're good. 
I had to stay 20 minutes later and was compensated $10 more than the people who sold tickets! 2 hours, $55. Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment