Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mile #2

Today was full of activity and the neighborhood happy hour in my side yard will be well-deserved!

First, I went to Richfield High School to help coach the tennis team. Our first hour consisted of raising my heart rate to ridiculous levels through dynamic stretching and bleachers. The second hour was a little easier as I coached, fed balls, and drank water.

I was going to run my mile on the Richfield track, but they were redoing it due to some recent vandalism. I figured I'd stop by Henry Sibley on the way home. No such luck. There was a team of high school boys standing right on my starting spot. No one needs to see me "running," least of all a gaggle of high school boys. My next idea was to head over to Humboldt High School, which is in between my house and downtown St. Paul. I wasn't quite sure where it was and abandoned my search, as I was increasingly hungry and crabby.

So I came home for a delicious lunch of Greek yogurt, Laughing Cow and crackers, 1/2 a cheese sandwich and milk.

Then I headed out for a re-match with Amy. Hmm...suddenly it had gotten hot and I had become severely out of shape. I won the first set 6-3, but lost the second 1-6 and both Amy and I decided to call it a day. We were pooped! I don't think I'm going to get out of my second set meltdown until I get in better shape.

But I still had to get my day's goal accomplished: mile #2. I took my sweaty socks and drove to Humboldt. Ha ha - no track! Back to Henry Sibley and a clear track. Not a person in sight and a light breeze blowing. I put on my wet socks and shoes, heaved a large sigh, and off I went. I knew I had to stay on pace for the first and second laps, which I did. I felt like I was running in place, but I plodded along. I had decided to run the opposite way on the track due to an aching left butt cheek. I figured it was from running counterclockwise on Sunday. I picked up my pace, panting heavily, on the last lap and came in at 13:12!! I will take it!

To recover I walked a lap and then headed over to the St. Paul Lifetime Fitness where, much to Rudi and Katie's chagrin I'm sure, I dipped my aching tootsies in the lap pool. There was only one other woman in there and she probably wasn't thrilled at the stinky person on the far side of the pool, but it felt faaaaaantastic. I stayed for about 20 minutes, drank water, and read Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang.

So I'm home, I've eaten, and now I need to shower. The gals in the 'hood are having a get together and I've got 1600 cals to blow on Mich Golden Lite!

3 comments:

  1. this is awesome! one of my favorite post-run activities is an ice bath...a cool pool is probably almost as good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Alliy Al!! I have yet to find the gym...you are certainly the more dedicated Byron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have Google maps for that... :)

    ReplyDelete