Monday, July 19, 2010

Movie Monday

I thought I'd start a new blog theme - Movie Monday. I'll review any movies I've seen in the past week.

(By the way, mile #2 will be on 7/20. I was advised against running multiple days in a row. Missy and I may run about 2 miles around Highland Park on Wed. We'll see if I survive...)

Good Morning, Vietnam
Ru set up her very own Netflix account in our sketchy hotel room in Carlsbad. The first movie we watched was Good Morning, Vietnam. I had never seen the entire movie, but I really liked it! Robin Williams truly excels at ad libbing, as seen in the extras reel. It actually made me tired to see him keep going and going and going.

I know that the military doesn't tell us everything, but I thought the way they censored all of the news that Williams' character could read was amazing. The best part of the entire movie was when Williams is stuck in a traffic jam while reconsidering going back on his show. The other traffic consisted of men packed into trucks about to head out to war. He sees how much what he does affects the boys. It's very poignant.

The Corpse Bride

I wasn't completely thrilled with this movie, but it could be because I was exhausted and was watching it at 11 pm last night. I will say that it reminded me of Beetlejuice, which was my favorite Tim Burton movie. Rudi said she liked how Burton commented on how British high society was boring and bland and the real party was down below. That made me like it a little more. Although, if that was the whole meaning behind the movie, why did the ending occur like it did? Perhaps something to look forward to? My favorite scene in the movie was when all of the dead people came up to the living realm and got to dance and pal around with their families. I liked the old lady who was hitting the skeleton with her purse until she realized it was her husband :)

3 comments:

  1. i've never watching good morning, vietnam all the way through, but perhaps i will now! i heart robin williams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm digging this theme - but you should post earlier in the day so I have something to read at work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well yesterday was a looooong day. Didn't quite get a break until later.

    ReplyDelete