Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ya gotta start somewhere.

Today I decided that it would be a good idea to run a mile. I haven't run a mile (and I use the term "run" loosely) in over 12 years. In high school we were required to run the mile and a half. As a current PE teacher, the only reasoning I can see behind running the 1.5 instead of running the mile is to waste more PE time. The best time I ever got in the 1.5 was around 15 minutes and that was in 1997. My goal for today was 1 mile in under 15 minutes without walking. Totally doable.

So I hauled my butt out of bed around 11:30 am and drove to the Henry Sibley High School track. I realized once I got there that I had forgotten water but decided to start anyway. Okay. I can do this.

I took off at what I thought was a good pace and finished my first lap in 2:48. Hmmm. So I optimistically thought I could do a mile in 12 min. The second and third laps mainly consisted of me repeating, I can do this I can do this I can do this. I quickly realized that I would probably run my first mile between 12 and 15 minutes.

As I glanced down at my heart rate monitor I saw that I was consistently in the 180s during my run. To the casual observer it looked like I was out for a gentle jog around the track, but my heart was at its max. I trotted around the track four times and ended up with a time of 13:24. Actually, it could have been a few seconds under that, but my HRM decided to take that exact moment to inform me that it was now 1:04 pm. Thanks a lot, HRM.

I think this is a great place to start. I figure that my best mile time was 10 min in the spring of my junior year in high school. I played varsity tennis, JV basketball, and ran varsity track that year. I was in the best shape of my life! I was also 120 lbs.

So my goal is to run 1 mile each day this week. I say this now, as nothing on me hurts. We'll see what tomorrow morning brings... After the "run" I grabbed Subway (Ru's favorite!) and then did 30 min on the recumbent bike at the gym. I'm nowhere near Katie's level of training, but ya gotta start somewhere.

4 comments:

  1. hey, nice job! this is pretty speedy for a first mile for SURE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start! I'm surprised you didn't do even better, since you must have a lot of endurance from tennis. Maybe the MacQ bodies just aren't meant to run... I know mine isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine isn't either! And to make you feel better, if I wasn't out of shape enough already - I'm sucking a lot of wind whenever I do ANYTHING up here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I will attempt mile #2 tomorrow. I was advised against running multiple days in a row.

    Tennis is more quick bursts of energy, which I can do. I ran the 100 and 200 in track. Definitely not a distance runner!

    ReplyDelete