Friday, February 11, 2011

The Meaning of Life, Valentine's Day, and other Updates

I just got back from a (very informal) interview with Bill, the weekend manager of the waterpark at The Depot hotel in downtown Minneapolis. They are looking for a lifeguard with no life (hi, I'm Allison!) who will work 7-hour shifts on the weekends. The pay is $11/hr and the availability of hours seems awesome compared to the 2.5 hours I work at the JCC every Tuesday. Even now I can see my credit card bill getting smaller... All I have to do is pee into a cup tomorrow morning and I should be golden (tee hee - pee - golden, I crack myself up!). As long as I do not snort any lines of coke or shoot up any heroin tonight, I should be the next weekend lifeguard at The Depot.

Which brings me to my next topic: Valentine's Day. Katie recently posted that she is quite ambivalent about what I affectionately call "Hawt Day." Rudi has often waxed poetically about her distaste for the day. I, on the other hand, am a full-fledged, card-carrying member of the "I hawt Hawt Day!" club. In elementary school I was absent on Valentine's day in 3rd and 4th grade. I was devastated. I have typically never had an actual date or boyfriend on V-day, but that hasn't stopped me from hoping. I don't need big displays of flowers or chocolates. I'd be fine with a single flower or a card. Even just a cute text would suffice. For me, it truly is the thought that counts. I have a heart tattoo. My ebay handle is "hearttattoo." I have numerous pairs of socks with hearts on them. I enjoy making and sending Valentine's. I get all swoonypants about Valentine's Day bc I'm a stupid, gushy, hopeless romantic. But don't tell anyone...I need to keep that crusty exterior front up.

And on to my next favorite thing about February: The Oscars. I recently compiled a list of 23 movies (now 24) that I need to see before 2/27. I've been checking a bunch off of my list this week:

The Social Network - loved it, had way more funny bits than I thought it was going to have.
Blue Valentine - woah, talk about a downer. Michelle Williams will not win best actress, even though she did a nice job.
Tangled - super cute movie! Definitely rent it. Up for Best Song.

Tonight I'm going to see The Illusionist, which is up for Best Animated Film. I'm preferring to go into these movies without much background knowledge of them. I'm also going to see the Oscar Nominated Shorts: Live Action, Animated, and Documentary. They play all of them in three separate showings at both the Lagoon and the Riverview Theaters.

And lastly, tomorrow night I will be attending the Trylon's presentation of Now, Voyager. This will be my first time attending a show at the Trylon and I'm sooo excited! It's a very small theater with only 50 seats. You reserve tickets ahead of time online for $8. Now, Voyager is one of my all-time favorite movies and I'm very excited to see it on the "big screen." As with most movies, I will be attending by myself. That's okay though, I like seeing movies alone. It's like my own private show.

1 comment:

  1. i'll send you a cute text on v day, miss swoonypants. xo. you can have my chocolates.

    ReplyDelete