Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Don't Try This At Home and The Unwich

This morning I thought it would be a bright idea to pack a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lifeguarding. I even threw in some Herr's chips as a treat. The only banana I had was frozen. I remembered back to making pb&j sandwiches with frozen bread to take to the beach. I thought, "Well, heck, why not try a frozen banana?" Yeah...not the brightest idea I've had in awhile. Around 11 am it was still looking pretty good. By 1 pm it had turned into a brown mess. Brown, soggy bread, brown peanut butter, and brown, soggy bananas.

So I took my chippies, milk (thank you 2 for $2 at Holiday!), and ordered my Jimmy John's staple - slim #4 (turkey and bread) with cheese. Their menu is pretty darn overwhelming and I usually like to make a quick decision so that's what I've been ordering. On my 57th visit to Jimmy John's, I finally picked up a paper take-away menu to peruse over lunch. 

I found my new order! You can order any of the sandwiches as an "unwich." An unwich is all the fillers, but instead of bread, it's wrapped in a lettuce wrap. Genius! I've been craving one ever since I saw it on the menu. When I got home I looked up the nutrition facts for turkey, cheese, lettuce, guac, sprouts, and the lettuce wrap and it's 187. Add in some salami if I'm feeling frisky and it's a mere 100 calories more. Not too bad! I have to go to the chiropractor tomorrow so I'm going to scoot out a little early to have it as my lunch. 

Oh, and PS: I did 50 minutes on the elliptical today. I won't have to worry about doing that many minutes if I cut out the bread at Jimmy John's!

2 comments: