Tuesday, August 10, 2010

This may make me less crabby.

Last night was nearly unbearable. I laid in my bed with the fan directly on me and I was still uncomfortable, sweaty, and oily (thanks, genetics). I thought of buying an AC unit, but I don't really have the money for that. I thought of asking friends if I could crash at their places, but I wanted my own bed. There was only one thing left to do. I would have to fight off the spiders and drag the AC unit from the basement to my room in the second story. (1) I hate spiders so I didn't really want to carry a heavy box up two flights of stairs while praying that all of the "pideys" were gone. (2) My lower back isn't in the best shape right now and I didn't want to tweak it more while freaking out after a spider crawled across my hand. But it's too hot. I don't have a choice.


Room (slightly messy), pre-AC unit

I went down into the basement armed with my camera, a measuring tape, and the vacuum. If I was going to do this I was going to document it, make sure it would fit in the bedroom window, and clear it of all pideys. I assumed that this unit had been placed in the bedroom, but last summer wasn't all that HHH (hazy, hot, and humid - for those of you who are not from the East Coast) so I didn't have to use it. I've rented this house since Oct 2008 and the AC unit has been in the basement for the past two years.


Scary part of the basement, filled with pideys.

I vacuumed the unit and the surrounding area with the longest attachment possible. Luckily, I only saw one pidey, who was relatively harmless. I lugged it out of the basement, took a break, and then lugged it up to my room. I then came upon a slight glitch. The screen wouldn't go up. Upon further inspection, I realized I would have to take the screen out. Easy enough. I took it out, put it aside and wedged the AC unit in the window. I pulled the storm window down to the top of it and then slid the main window down. This baby is not falling out! Then I shoved two old towels under the unit bc there seemed to be some holes where the nasty humidity could seep in.

I turned it on and it smelled like basement and old lady. BUT!! It was cold. I have it running up there to air it out while I'm typing this. *pause* I just went up there to see how the little guy is doing and it is like night and day! I turned it off to save electricity, knowing that tonight will be the best night's sleep ever...


Sanity

1 comment: