Wednesday, August 25, 2010

West Side Wednesday

A fruit fly infestation has taken over my kitchen recently. I'm not quite sure why, as a piece of fruit has never even entered my kitchen, let alone has been left to rot in it. I've been having tuna fish recently so maybe that is it? Not quite sure.

At any rate, after a few days of trying to squish them between my hands and realizing that either (a) they disintegrate and leave no goo on my hands or (b) I'm not killing them, I went on the internet. Turns out they sense movement and the only way to kill them is to sneak up on them very, very slowly. They suggested using a vacuum. Now that is something I'm good at! I rock at sucking up bugs in the vacuum. It's probably the only reason I actually have a vacuum.

I sucked up a bunch yesterday and felt satisfied that I had gotten the bulk of them. Apparently not. So I took out the trash where a few were frolicking. I replaced the scrubby on the end of my dishwasher wand. I cleaned out the sinks with disinfectant. Then I came home to find new ones frolicking on the new scrubby. Bastards! Not to worry, I sucked them up!

It's kind of fun to see them flying flying flying SUCKED UP! Heh heh heh. The internet said that they have a life span of 10 days so we've got to be getting to the end of them soon...

2 comments:

  1. this cracks me up. we've been having regular fly problems all summer. thom has become the fly-killing master. he can catch a fly with chopsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one time i didnt realize i threw out a banana in my bedroom trashcan (which i only took out about once a month). It was BAD when I figured it out! Are you rinsing the tunafish cans? Thats the only thing I can think of. They manage to find anything thats decomposing and then multiple. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete