Wednesday, August 4, 2010

West Side Wednesday

I have three things to talk about on the West Side this Wednesday. The first two are fitness-related and the last is egg-related.

My First 5K
Yesterday I decided that I was going to walk to a nearby track that was supposed to be superior to the track I've been running on. I charted the distance using the Google Map Pedometer and found out it was exactly 3.1 miles there and back. My first 5K! It was way too hot and humid to run, but I thought I could walk it and see what my time would be. Turns out it was 48:31. I was happy that it was under 50 min, but I wasn't happy to see that the track was completely locked up. Looks like I'll be staying at ol' Henry Sibley High School.

'Hood Workout
My neighborhood is on an incline. To the north of my street are the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River. If you travel south towards Annapolis St., you head steadily uphill. My street is about halfway between the bluffs and Annapolis St. At the end of my street there is a large public park, which is a little over 1 mile around. My 'hood workout is this: walk down to and around the park and then go up and down the streets until I get back to my house. The trip is about 4 miles total and gives me a chance to go up an incline and then go back down it on the next block over. Great intervals! I did this workout today after I tweaked my lower back at the barbell strength class at the gym this morning. I took it slow and did it in about an hour.

Egg-static
The last few times I've made hard boiled eggs, I've somehow messed them up. This should give you some insight into my cooking ability, or lack thereof. I Googled "how to make a hard boiled egg" and came up with this website:

http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Boil-an-Egg

I have about 5 minutes to go before I put them under cold water to stop the cooking. Wish me luck, as I'm trying to find more "real food" ways of adding protein into my diet.


5 min left to cook


Stopping the eggs from cooking


All cooled and ready for the fridge!

2 comments:

  1. Let me know how they taste! I've never had a hard boiled egg before. Perhaps I should try...

    Tunafish is a great and easy way to add protein - I brought it for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggs were a success! Just had one for lunch and it was PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete